1 year with Vultr: Vultr VPS review

I'm currently moving away from Vultr (I'll explain why further down) and decided to write a review as a farewell.

After 1 year with Vultr I've had a total of 2 problems that were out of my control. Both problems were high latency and packet loss, but they only lasted for about an hour each. So with around 7 servers for 12 months, I've had 2 hours of interruptions. Not bad at all. Their support was average at best with these 2 problems, it took over an hour for them to respond and it was just the usual response of "Sorry but it's not our fault" (paraphrase).

I use some of my Vultr instances as game servers, and I've seen people playing on the server with 3ms ping which clearly proves their networks can quickly handle packets and I've never seen latency spikes aside from the 2 mentioned above. Although the game server doesn't use much IO, I always found the SSD to be fast and reliable.

I've had a total of 6-7 DDoS attacks on these Vultr instances. They don't offer DDoS protection, and I wasn't using an external service for it. When getting hit with attacks of around 10gbps, I was simply null routed and Vultr never complained. I was expecting some kind of warning letting me know I'd be suspended if the attacks continued, but that never happened. Whenever a server has been null routed, their support is fairly useless. If you ask them how long it'll be until your connection is working again, they won't respond until after the null route is lifted and they'll just say something along the lines of "removed null route" and close the ticket (hours after it got opened).
I've also used Vultr instances for very heavy CPU/IO tasks in the past. Even after hours of using 100% IO and high CPU, I never got any complaints or messages. They genuinely seem happy to let you use as much resources as you want which means you don't have to worry too much about your usage. I've not once felt like they're overselling their servers, and it really does feel like the resources you get are dedicated to you.
The reason why I'm now moving away from Vultr is because they've suddenly dropped support for their 3.5GHz processors (and are now only offering 2.4GHz) and they've increased the price by 20%. I'm not going to pay more money for slower servers.
In terms of their reliability, I have to give them a 5/5. Their servers are simply rock solid. If I wasn't manually rebooting these servers on occasion, they'd have 12 months uptime. Considering the worst problem I ever had with them was an hour of high network latency, there's really no complaints in regards to their hardware.
I'd give their support a 2/5. It feels like robots are answering all the tickets, but I bet if you had a problem they'd do whatever they could to help even if it does take them close to an hour to respond.
The fact that they suddenly upped the price and lowered the server specs overnight is a little off-putting. However, if you're looking for a reliable server with a 2.5GHz processor, Vultr will probably serve you well.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.